Heading Logo

Muskies battle Scotties to 2-2 draw

Published: September 17, 2013 12:30 PM

DRESDEN — A battle of Muskingum Valley League boys soccer frontrunners ended in a 2-2 deadlock on Tuesday night with the John Glenn Muskies visiting Tri-Valley High.

With the tie, the two teams remain tied atop the MVL boys’ standing with 3-0-1 marks.

Ryan Hammer of John Glenn put home a header off the assist from Koen Riehl in the 28th minute of the second half for the 2-2 tie.

John Glenn opened the scoring with a goal two minutes into the match for a 1-0 Muskie lead.

Tri-Valley’s Drew Rector then tallied back to back scores to give the Scotties the 2-1 lead.

[Article continues below]

Muskies’ goal keeper Zak Harper finished with five saves in the match and John Glenn got off 12 shots on goal in the contest.

NEXT — The John Glenn boys entertain Marietta on Saturday at 11 a.m.


Visting Marietta High was in control throughout on Tuesday night, resulting in an 8-1 victory over Cambridge High in East Central Ohio League boys’ soccer action.

The Tigers roared out to a 4-0 lead after the first half of action to lead at the intermission.

The Bobcats (1-4) avoided the shutout with a goal from Eric Fox at the 10:12 mark of the second half, Seth Rhodes picked up the assist on the scoring play.

Marietta finished with a huge 24-11 edge in shots on goal, with John Mercer of the Bobcats recording 13 saves in the match

Jay Pierece of the Tigers finished with seven saves in goal for the winners.

NEXT — The Cambridge boys visit Steubenville on Thursday at 5 p.m.

* * * * *

CALDWELL — After grabbing a 2-0 first half lead, the host Caldwell Redskins erupted the second half for seven more tallies to run past the Barnesville soccer club team by a 9-0 score Tuesday.

Hunter Fabian garnered his first goal of his high school career, with an assist from Marissa Radcliff, to get the ’Skins rolling with Caldwell dominating the offensive end. Raddcliff then followed with her first goal of the night to spot the Redskins to the 2-0 first-half advantage.

At the start of the second half, the Redskins got the offense totally in gear with Noah Nething scoring at 43:52 and then finding the back of the net again at the 48:58 mark to up the advantage to 4-0. Toby Smith then tallied at the 56:35 mark and Chase Lucas picked up his first goal of the year at 60:22 followed quickly by Cole Rucker at 62:13 to up the lead to 7-0.

Radcliff put in her second goal of the contest at the 71:51 point of the match and Halle Sandford closed out the scoring with her first goal of the season at the 76:29 juncture to give the Redskins their third win of the year against just one loss.

Caldwell fired off 20 shots on goal, while Barnesville only managed two shots. Redskin goal keeper Kyle Tanner had a pair of saves in the second half. Barnesville goalie Lane Bedford recorded 16 saves.

NEXT — Caldwell hosts Pioneer Valley Conference foe Monroe Central Thursday beginning at 5:30 p.m.


Rate this article

Do you want to leave a comment?   Please Log In or Register to comment.